Our trip map...

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Lassen Volcanic National Park

We spent a night at this spectacular park known for its dormant volcano which last erupted about 100 years ago. We camped by a cool lake that only Aviv and Dagan had the courage to swim in since the water was extremely cold.


We hiked for about 3 miles to Bumpass Hell which is a sulphuric steaming pools area with boiling water and mudpots. The area is very warm due to that and smelly too.
There's lots of wildlife all around - chipmunks, squirrels, deer and many others.

The next day we stopped for an a-la-cart lunch and a short hike in the 45 meter McArthur Burney falls. Looking from above, the great view of the falls is breathtaking and as we got down and closer to the falls we felt the air getting cooler and cooler with a refreshing spray.

The 4 °C water was a bit too cold for a swim (and some wild nature crawling living beings didn't help as well) but just dipping the foot in the water was very refreshing in the Californian summer.



In the afternoon we arrived to Weed where Bruce was waiting for us. But that calls a separate post.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay - take it easy on your kids you two! I agree with Augusta and Hedzer....it's your turn so it will look "accidental." We are glad you're having such a great time and we love checking in on the blog. Enjoy your time in Weed with my dad - hopefully you'll stay long enough to see my mom when she returns! As to the pictures from Lassen - beautiful...but now Cathrine will never visit after seeing the picture of the snake. :-( Ha.

Dafi said...

Bruce says the snake is not dangerous and we trust him on that. Cathrine you can come it's safe.

Thor-Inge said...

You are right Cathy, Cathrine will NEVER visit this place, unless we convince the blond lady that the snake is only made of plastic, and put there for entertaining the kids/other visitors. I will do my best.

Storbrua said...

I feel sick when I look a the photo, so I don't - I scroll over.....
BUT - I will come one day - as long as I can sit inside with a bottle of wine :-)