Our trip map...

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hunting Island

This is Dagan's home made coffee capsule dispenser. He designed and built it together with Adi few days ago. Also in the picture is one of my new tea mugs from Starbucks
This morning we rode the bike to the nature center of Hunting Island state park. On the way we stopped for some shell hunting on the beach

An interesting fact about the island is that natural forces of erosion constantly change the the island's shape. The island gets smaller all the time because of those heavy tides. We saw few houses that had to be demolished as they were no longer on land. This house used to be a coffee shop on the beach. It's completely in water now
In the nature center we heard about reptiles and for "dessert" we got to hold a corn snake. First time a snake crawls on us. It wasn't that bad actually (Cathrine, skip the next 3 pictures!) It was a cold day and the snake felt cold. It seemed that he liked our warm body temperature.

On the way back we ended up riding the bike on a busy road with narrow shoulders. It became very windy and dangerous to continue. We got off the bikes and started walking reluctantly. A couple in a car going the opposite way pulled over and the guy asked if we would like to get a ride back to the campground (about 3km away). We hesitated because we didn't know those people and we had the bikes with us too. The guy, named Calvin, was so kind, he took us back with the kids' bikes and then he took Dagan again to get the adults bikes. This lovely Canadian couple did us a great favor and we were so grateful. Dagan with Calvin

Tonight the temperature is supposed to drop to -2. We took the opportunity to do a scientific experiment. Aviv prepared 3 bowls with 3 types of water - sweet, fresh and salty. We placed them outside and we'll see tomorrow morning if the water will freeze

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You could not PAY me to handle a snake!!!! I can already hear Cathrine screaming when she's sees this edition of your blog!!

Dafi said...

I thought so too, but when the guy took the snake out of the tank, it looked so harmless and even cute. I think Cathrine passed out!

Storbrua said...

Next time, please write me an e-mail and warn me NOT to look in your blog!!!! I saw this before I had my morning coffee - it will not be a good day, even though I'm going to Madrid :-)
It started out with so nice photos - all tranquilo and suddenly - bam - sorry, I couldn't read about the tournado beacuse there where some disturbing photos in front of me !!!

Unknown said...

You should be glad you hadn't had your coffee yet - nothing to throw up. :-) I hope there are no snakes on your flight to Madrid....but then, I gather you didn't see that movie. (Neither did I - the ads were enough). Dafi - a "cute" snake? I'm worried about you.